Horse Care Apprenticeship
This qualification is for candidates entering the industry with good basic skills and knowledge, or following on from achieving a Level 1 qualification.
As a work based learning course, you will receive hands work experience focusing on the principles and practices of horse care and management. The learner will focus on areas of interest such as yard work, competition horses, riding, breeding or coaching. These qualifications as well as gaining experience in in the industry, such as Riding Schools, Competition yards, Stud Farms, Liveries or Show Centres.
The Aim of this course is to give you all round, work based experience and knowledge to gain a career in the Equine Industry. During the course you will be working towards a Diploma in Work Based Horse Care and Functional Skills qualifications as well as gaining experience in each part of the business, such as the Riding School, Competition yard, Reception and the Show department.
Apprenticeship Level 2:
- Level 2 Diploma in Horse Care
- Functional Skills English level 1 (equivalent to GCSE D-G)
- Functional Skills Math Level 1 (equivalent to GCSE D-G)
- Apprentices with a GCSE ‘D’ or ‘E’ will be given the opportunity to work towards a Functional Skills level 2 qualification (equivalent to GCSE A-C)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities Workbook
- Personal Learning and thinking Skills Workbook
Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3:
- Level 3 Diploma in Horse Care
- Functional Skills English level 2 (equivalent to GCSE A-C)
- Functional Skills Math Level 2 (equivalent to GCSE A-C)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities Workbook (unless achieved at Apprenticeship)
- Personal Learning and thinking Skills Workbook (unless achieved at Apprenticeship)
The Framework consists of Mandatory units, a Pathway and Optional units which you can choose depending on your job role and aspirations.
- You will need to be confident in walk, trot and canter, preferably with and without stirrups.
- Some jumping experience is an advantage.
- You need basic stable management skills in mucking out, grooming and tacking up.
- Basic Math and Communication Skills (a GCSE A-C in Math and English is an advantage, but not a requirement, as we have specialist tutors available)
This course can be started at any time and will typically take 12-13 months to complete.